Specialist School and College
Part of the Treetops Learning Community Trust
All admissions are coordinated by Thurrock Council
Read our OFSTED outstanding report
The full 2014 OFSTED Outstanding report.
Dates for your diary
Important school dates for your diary
Secure cashless payments
We hope you enjoy looking through all our website has to offer current and prospective pupils and parents, as well as other stakeholders.
Treetops is a day special school for children and young people between the ages of 3 and 19 who experience moderate learning difficulties. The school, located in Grays, Essex.
The school operates a special VB (verbal behaviour) department for children on the autistic spectrum and is the first state school in the UK to be adopting these teaching principles.
As of February 2008, Treetops School operates on its new site in Buxton Road where we have all our different age groups in one place. The number of places currently available at our school is 276. Pupils can be admitted throughout the academic year but the majority will take up places at the beginning of the autumn term.
Our school works on achievement, on what can be done. We work on the positive. We do not view our work as such, but as a vocation or as an opportunity to make a difference.
Each pupil is placed in an age- or need-appropriate group. Each group will have a teacher responsible for pastoral care. In addition, the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher also take great pride in ensuring pastoral care is of the highest order. We will always endeavour to answer any worries you have on the same day that you make contact.
One of the great qualities of our school is that we are small. We are therefore able to know each pupil really well, and conversely they know us really well. Behaviour and discipline in school (or anywhere else) is all about relationships.
Our aim is for pupils to accept our values and become part of a whole community, which instils a sense of pride in each other.
Message from our Head Teacher Mr Brewer
Message from our Chief Executive Mr Smith
Teaching is outstanding because teachers have exceptionally high expectations of what pupils can achieve and use practical activities to make learning interesting.
SCHOOL APP UPDATE
You must update our school app to a new version which is faster, has fewer bugs, and can handle the latest software. To get the app on either your phones or tablets simply search Piota Schools in the Apple or Android App Store, or click one of the following links:
Once you have downloaded the Piota Schools app, in the search box start typing the name Treetops school and click it once it appears.The app will remember your choice and always load to our school.
Don’t forget to go to the settings section and reselect your preferred notification channels.
WHAT WE’RE DOING
- The school continues to make significant progress in consolidating and developing its expertise across a range of learning difficulties, particularly in the areas of autism and social and communication difficulties.
- The school moved to its new site with brand new state of the art facilities in March 2008. The site is also used as a base for our Portage Service with a further area developed for family support work and work with external professionals.
- In November 2014 the school was re-inspected by OFSTED and for the third time in succession was judged to be outstanding in all categories.”
- In April 2017 the school converted to an Academy within the Multi Academy Trust ‘Treetops Learning Community’ but remains as Treetops School.
- We have had a bid to open a Free School on our existing site accepted and are awaiting further developments to this.
School should be…a place where there is work but also laughter, a place where there is law but also grace, a place where there is justice but where there is also love…
Sir Alec Clegg 1974
Contact the school